Smoked Coconut Bacon
Coconuts – one of Vegi Tales’ most favorite ingredients! Coconuts are loaded with powerful vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other plant-based nutrients that everyone’s diet could use a little more of. And did you know that you can use coconut to even create irresistible, plant-based bacon that just tastes like the real thing?! Three words describing this particular snack – it’s smoky, it’s crunchy, it’s tastylicous!
It makes for an amazing topping for your salads or a fancy snack, simply consumed like that.
- 1 brown coconut, shaved
- 3 tablespoons of tamari
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
- Cut the coconut, discard the water and scoop out the pulp. Using a mandoline, slice the coconut pulp and put it to a bowl.
- In a small jar, add the sauce ingredients and mix very well until everything is incorporated. Pour the mixture on the coconut shaves and mix well.
- Add the coconut shaves (coconut bacon) to dehydrator trays and dehydrate for about 8 - 10 hours at 40 °C or until very crispy. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can use the oven at 50 °C with the door slightly open, for roughly the same duration of time.
- Optional: For even more smokiness, add your coconut bacon to a bowl and cover with film lid. Fill a smoking gun with a teaspoon of your chosen wood chips flavor and infuse your coconut bacon lifting the film lid for a moment while inducing the smoke. Afterwards, keep it covered with the lid for about 2 - 3 minutes. Ready to serve!
- Recipe featured in my ebook. 🙂