When it comes to green smoothies my mind goes straight to Victoria Boudenko and the Raw Family, which discovered the great combination of leafy greens and fruits – both essential parts of our daily diet to achieve and maintain optimal health.
Here are 10 reasons to drink green smoothies (by Victoria Boudenko):
- Green smoothies are very nutritious. The ratio in them is optimal for human consumption; about 60% ripe organic fruit mixed with about 40% organic greens.
- Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, most of the cells in the green and fruits are ruptured, making the valuable nutrients easy for the body to assimilate. Green smoothies literally start to get absorbed in the mouth.
- As opposed to juices, green smoothies are a complete food because they still have fibre. Consuming fibre is important for our elimination system.
- Green smoothies belong to the most palatable dishes for all humans of all ages. With a ratio of fruits with veggies as 60:40 the fruit taste dominates the flavour, yet at the same time the greens balance out the sweetness of the fruit, adding a nice zest to it. People who eat a standard American diet enjoy the taste of it and are usually surprised that something green could taste so good.
- A molecule of chlorophyll closely resembles a molecule of human blood. According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, “consuming chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion”. Many people do not consume enough greens, even those who stay on a raw food diet. By drinking two or three cups of green smoothies daily you will consume enough greens for the day to nourish your body, and all of the beneficial nutrients will be well assimilated.
- Green smoothies are easy to make, and quick to clean up after. In contrast, juicing greens is time consuming, messy, and expensive. Many people abandon drinking green juices on a regular basis for those reasons. To prepare a pitcher of green smoothie takes less than 5 minutes, including cleaning.
- Green smoothies have proven to be loved by children of all ages, including babies of six or more months old. Of course you have to be careful and slowly increase the amount of smoothies to avoid food allergies.
- When consuming your greens in the form of green smoothies, you are greatly reducing the consumption of oil and salt in your diet.
- Regular consumption of green smoothies forms a good habit of eating greens. After a few weeks of drinking green smoothies, more people crave and enjoy eating more greens. Eating enough greens is often a problem with many people, especially children.
- While fresh is always best, green smoothies will keep in cool temperatures for up to three days, which can be handy at work and while travelling.
With such great variety of leafy greens and fruits there are sheer endless possibilities to boost your health with, experimenting with different combinations is fun and keeps it interesting. In fact, it’s recommended to change your greens every once in while – you can go by what is available per season. Important is to use fresh and ideally organic produce. As the smoothie is consumed “raw” you don’t want to choose fruits or greens that are contaminated with pesticides.
So let’s get to it! I’m happy to share with you one of my favourite green smoothie recipes – it’s sweet and delicious and a great way to start an energised and successful day with.
- 4-5 medium big ripe bananas, peeled
- 1 bunch spinach/ kale / other leafy greens
- 1 apple, core out
- 3-4 cm ginger
- 1 orange/ 2-3 mandarines peeled/ ½ grapefruit / 1/4 pineapple
- ½ ripe mango
- 2 cm fresh turmeric root
- 1 tsp organic coconut oil
- 10-12 mint leafs (optional)
- filtered water, as needed
- Add first the fruits and then the leafy greens to a high speed blender. Blend well until you have a smooth consistency adding water as desired. I like my smoothie quite liquid and I added about 2 cups.
- Look for very ripe bananas - the black ones are perfect for the smoothie. If that is not enough sweet add 2-3 more dates.
- This amount makes about 1,5 litres and can be served for 2-4 people.